To Do List
Health and Beauty
Plug Your Site
Change The Skin
Report An Error
MT Blog Archives
Nov-Apr 04 Archives
Feb-Nov 03 Archives
Sites and Projects
Shining Top Sites
Creme De La Femme
Make Your Site Successful
Key tips ;) Trust me, you need to follow these guidelines :P
- Patience It's taken more than two years of hard work to get my site like this. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 'chore', but it requires a lot of dedication. Creating a Geocities account and sticking a layout on it is not automatically going to get you hits. Neither is wanting to fly before you can crawl so to speak. If you can't yet make your own layouts (and there's nothing wrong with that), don't expect to be using FTP and Flash by the end of the day.
- Content Unfortunately it's true. People are selfish. If there is nothing to be gained from visitng your site, like freebies, dollmakers or tutorials, they are going to take one look and not come back. Good content is essential. Sorry.
- Dedication It's impossible to work on your site 24/7. You definitely need to take a complete break once in a while (hey that's what hiatuses are for right?). Regular updates are good though, and people are more likely to go to a regularly updated site (although I've never regularly updated lol). You have to be dedicated, it's really important. Loads of people just create an account somewhere, set up a site, work on it for maybe a month, drop it, come back a bit later, create another account and whole new site, drop it, or start again etc. etc. Think of what a great site you could have made, building up your first instead of starting again and again? Never give up, redo and improve :)
- Interact This is something I'm very guilty of not doing - signing guestbooks, commenting and tagging. The best way to do this is comment on someone's (I'll call them person 1) site, read the comments other people have put, select one of those people (person 2), comment on their site. Then read person 2's comments, pick one of those people (person 3) and go comment on person 3's site. Before you know it, you'll have covered loads of sites and people may visit your site and comment. Also, select a few favourite sites and comment/tag on those nearly every day. The site owner will get to know his/her 'regulars', and you'll have more chance of getting plugged in the next blog. Remember - don't be too gushy or post the same thing at everyone's site. A nice, simple comment is fine.
- Don't Bug This leads on from the last point - when you comment on someone's site or get in touch through AIM or MSN or whatever, don't constantly ask questions. Most of the people I get talking to me say 'Hi' and then ask loads of questions. Some people don't even say hi. I don't mind questions, but it would be nice to be polite or email me preferably if you have a question :) And by questions, I mean 'Where did you make your site?' 'How do you make layouts?' etc. etc. etc. until I want to scream! Lol I'm not trying to be bitchy, honestly :D
Back | Forward
Your Site Here?
All content and design is © Jennifer Brown 2005, unless otherwise stated. Please click *here* for more information.