To Do List
Health and Beauty
Plug Your Site
ExtraChange The Skin
Report An Error
MT Blog Archives
Nov-Apr 04 Archives
Feb-Nov 03 Archives
Sites and ProjectsShining Top Sites
Creme De La Femme
Note: Check with your host whether you have CGI access first.
1. Click here, 'Save' and download. Once it's downloaded, unzip it.
2. If you have a cgi-bin, create a folder in that (called 'Megabook'), if not, just create a 'Megabook' folder. Then upload all the files you just unzipped in ASCII mode, apart from readme.html.
3. I recommend checking your Perl path; if it's not installed at /usr/bin/perl, find out from your host where it is installed, and change the first line of code in your guestbook.cgi, signgbook.cgi, viewpriv.cgi and admin.cgi files. If you don't know what this means, you should be okay, run through this tutorial quickly to see if it works, and if not, then double check this part.
4. CHMOD the .cgi files to 755 and the .txt and .db files to 666. If you don't know what CHMODing is, read my tutorials on it.
5. Go to your Megabook admin at http://www.(yourdomain).com/(yourcgidir)/admin.cgi. For example, it might be http://your-site.com/cgi-bin/megabook/admin.cgi, or http://your-site.com/megabook/admin.cgi.
6. In the password box, type megabook, and once you've logged in, change the password to something no one can guess, but that you can remember. I recommend putting numbers in it, or making up a rhyme that you can remember but is too long for anyone else to guess.
7. Go to http://www.(yourdomain).com/(yourcgidir)/guestbook.cgi. For example, it might be http://your-site.com/cgi-bin/megabook/guestbook.cgi, or http://your-site.com/megabook/guestbook.cgi. You should now be able to view your guestbook!
8. Spend some time getting used to the settings in admin.cgi, and take a while to change your layout and stuff :)
Back | Forward