To Do List
Health and Beauty
Plug Your Site
ExtraChange The Skin
Report An Error
MT Blog Archives
Nov-Apr 04 Archives
Feb-Nov 03 Archives
Sites and ProjectsShining Top Sites
Creme De La Femme
You know when you click a broken link and it comes up with a boring white page? Well here's how to customise it. This will only work with domains. Some domain hosts (like Dreamhost.com) let subdomains have their own 404 pages too, so check with your host (if you're hosted) whether you can have one or not.
1. First of all, make a nice 404 image and upload it, and then make a page called 404.html and upload. You can include whatever you like on the page. If you want an example, click here for mine.
2. Create a new document and insert the following code:
3. Change http://www.your-site.com/404.html to your actual URL.
4. Name the file htaccess.txt and upload it to your site (don't put it in a folder or anything)
5. Now right click the file and rename it to .htaccess. If it disappears, don't worry.
6. Finally test your page by going to http://your-site.com/gfjkfgjdkfdjkfjs.html (or any non-existant page lol) and you're done :)
Back | Forward